Poor Man's Pad Thai

By popular demand: the cooking forum!
Qedhup

Poor Man's Pad Thai

Post by Qedhup » July 4th, 2013, 6:58 am

I love me some Pad Thai. The few times I can convince the wife to eat at a Thai restaurant instead of sushi, I usually get Pad Thai. I devised a recipe here that gets close to Pad Thai on a budget. Doesn't taste perfect, but it's close and it's pretty cheap.

Heartily feeds 2 people. Can feed 3 if you just increase the portion of noodles and don't mind it being a touch more bland. Of course if you want to feed more just double or triple the amounts.

Most of the spices are something that every good cook should have in stock (garlic, cumin, cayenne, etc..). Measurements may not be exact. I don't tend to follow actual recipes often times. I kind of 'wing it'.

Poor Man's Pad Thai

Sauce:
  • - 1 can of chicken stock (or 1 chicken bouillon cube)
    - 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar (any kind, I actually use Malt)
    - 1 Tbsp. Lime juice
    - 3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
    - 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce (I use only Kikkoman)
    - 1 Tbsp. Cumin
    - 1 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
    - (Optional) Add Sriracha for some heat! You don't need much.
Meal:
  • - Cook up a bunch of noodles. If you can find some nice rice noodles or actual Pad Thai noodles then awesome. If not, then go with Linguini or hell even a couple of packages of cheap $0.25 ramen noodles for super savings!

- Broil 2 chicken thighs and dice them. Chicken thighs are one of the cheapest parts of the chicken. if you're willing to work at it, get it with the bones and skins still. They're dirt cheap and you have left over parts for a nice soup after.

- Throw the noodles and chicken thighs in a pan with the sauce and a little vegetable or olive oil then add the rest of the ingredients.

- A little garlic powder or 2 crushed cloves if you have it fresh. If I know i'm going to be on a budget for the next month or two I sometimes buy a small jar of the pre-minced garlic. Doesn't cost much and it takes several life times to go bad I swear.

- 1/2 a diced onion. Not a requirement, but onions aren't exactly expensive and the taste is worth it.

- 1 egg (it'll cook as you fry the entire dish and thicken it up). If you prefer you can pre-scramble and cook the egg and just server it on top in slices. I prefer it mixed in myself though.

- Plate it and top it off with chopped, salted peanuts.