Tekkit - World Anchors

Discuss Qedhup's RoF Server Here!
Qedhup

Tekkit - World Anchors

Post by Qedhup » April 25th, 2013, 8:44 am

I wish we had a tekkit section for this stuff.

I asked everyone to have no more than 3 world anchors per person active at any one time. Here's the reasons why.
A single world anchor keeps a 3x3 area of chunks loaded in memory 100% of the time. A single "chunk" in minecraft is a 16x16 area of blocks from bedrock to the height limit of the map. That means that a single World Anchor keeps a 48x48 block area (from bedrock to the sky limit) loaded all the time. That amounts currently to 589,824 blocks per world anchor.
There are currently 79 world anchors active on the tekkit server and I know we don't have 26 active people on the server. That's 46.6 million blocks in memory when there are zero people online.

Anyone have any ideas how we should tackle this? I see that many servers wipe the world anchors from their server once a week to make players have to replace their active ones. But this is a pain both for me to remember to do, and for players to have to replace them.

The only other thing I can think of is to make World Anchors only place-able by very specific people. But once again, that's a pain in the ass for those people.

Qedhup

Re: Tekkit - World Anchors

Post by Qedhup » April 25th, 2013, 8:47 am

There might be a way to make World-Anchors not craft-able, but still place-able. Thus I can wipe out all the world anchors and then give each player a specific number of anchors. The only problem with this is... World Anchors have an EMC value. Thus they can be replicated with an Alchemy table or Energy Condenser can they not?

ibeevil

Post by ibeevil » April 25th, 2013, 4:35 pm

World anchors don't have an EMC value. Also, does a world anchor load the chunk it's placed in or is it the middle of a new chunk? If so, I do have like 8 world anchors because it looks cool and I'll get minimize how many I have once I get an answer.
Yay gifs

5CookieMonster

Post by 5CookieMonster » April 25th, 2013, 6:57 pm

I have one. And I don't remember where it is.....

Qedhup

Post by Qedhup » April 25th, 2013, 11:09 pm

yeah iBeevil, we did abit of looking around, you do indeed have many many world anchors. and yes it loads the chunk that it sits in. So that's roughly 1/2 a million loaded blocks per world anchor.

I was starting to get error messages. So went around and got rid of about a dozen or so world anchors and the errors stopped. We were already overloading the server apparently.

I'll do a scan again in about 2 days. If the number of world anchors doesn't drop significantly then i'll have to remove all world anchors and restrict the placement of them. It'd be a pain in the arse, but at least the server will stay stable.

Remember, a world anchor covers a 48x48 area (from bedrock to skylimit), that should be able to cover most bases. If you press F12 you can visibly see where the area covers because little purple motes will appear in the area.

5CookieMonster

Post by 5CookieMonster » April 26th, 2013, 1:06 am

Ok since I'm not sure where my first anchor is, I'm going to make a couple more for my home and my Power Flowers. I just wanted to let you know that I have two now, and maybe have reached my limit of 3. Now that I think about it, I may har destroyed that world anchor. But anyway just wanted to let you know.